What If

What would my typical weekend day be like if I had chosen to stay away from Australia?

I imagine a morning in Singapore. As I feel the rising humidity after dawn, I walk amongst shaded trees to the hawkers centre to relish my favourite breakfast of kaya toast, half boiled eggs and coffee. Then it's down to the MRT or the hardly used car to visit a particular suburb. I reach my destination in under half an hour. Most likely I cannot resist dropping by a shopping area even if I have nothing in mind to purchase. I soon get caught up with display, ambiance and salesmanship.

I imagine an afternoon in Penang. The art of the brunch, afternoon tea or gathering with mates to stay away from the midday sun has reached a happy state here. We sit beneath sight of swaying coconut trees and glaring sea views to partake in Straits Chinese delicacies and to get waited upon by Burmese or Bangladeshi staff. We immerse ourselves in musings about dear friends, past and present. More likely I would love to spend an afternoon in houses of different people from various stages of life.

In the evening sunset, I would love to spend the Saturday dusk along the waterfront in Hong Kong. Not necessarily at Tsimshatsui for it can be on a walking trail on one of the outer islands or in a bird reserve along the China border. Then it's dinner to keep up the networking, get the latest financial tips or just to check out the scene at a cool venue. The crowds may bother me and I can retreat to a gym or cyberspace.

What if, maybe not. Here I make most of my own meals, even on a weekend. I may go for breakky by the ocean side or catch a fast food meal if I am in a hurry to appointments. There is a lot of time spent driving. There is not much exciting shopping to go to, as all centres seem to offer the same outlets, but there are also many suburbs with unique characteristics of its own in greater Sydney. There is so much variety of Nature and outdoor activities in Australia. There is however no kaya toast on the go.

Afternoon tea consists of a much less variety and spread but costs more. I prefer visiting houses of friends and cousins like in my home island. Then it's on to dinner gatherings, in a home environment or commercial venues. No gyms or department stores are open late on weekends, so it's back to cyberspace after midnight and after cinemas and clubs close. The sunsets can be glorious, the winter air refreshingly cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope