Strange Days

The heater just would not turn on. I checked all the related options, timer, temperature options and electrical charge prevention buttons. Still the gadget would not turn on. Then the house telephone stopped working. There was no live line. You may expect this in Zimbabwe, but in Australia, it would be fair to think it was unusual, or may be not. I thought the connection to my kitchen phone was just unintentionally pulled off. No, it was not.

The bathroom heater lamp had one of its outlets blown off. I noticed all the bedroom ceiling lights had dimmed. The showerhead was leaking and so were the taps at the kitchen sink. The tap covers for the shower area and vanity cabinet began to fall apart in one form or another.

Maybe an alien spacecraft had flown over my house, causing all these unexpected defects in its wave. Or more realistically it was just simple wear and tear. However I could not help noticing the uncanny timing, the sense of it all happening all at the same, perhaps coordinated time. I then realised that I had piled up newspapers from the past six weekends left unread. Hey, I was just slack and the fact that these weekend editions came in at least 12 separate sections did not help at all.

Rushing through speed reading in an effort to clear up my newspaper reading backlog, I saw the whole host of stories flagged by the mainstream Australian media. I came to realise the trivia made in media output - aesthetic matters, relationship flare-ups, unnecessary products,regurgitated storylines and hidden advertorials. What a sad use of good newsprint. I had vowed to stick to electronic news but I could not resist the value bargain offer of hold-in-the hand newspapers delivered to my home at a ridiculous price. When I had more important commitments, there are all these papers to process.

The relative unimportance of an increasing number of media stories then linked to the utter insignificance of the nature of breakdowns around the house. What if there is no telephone or heater. Most of the world's population contend with less. I could dress up inside the house and even did send text messages on my mobile phone to friends more than a thousand miles away that my landline phone at home had stopped working. What if the taps were leaking? Many people had to walk kilometres just to get some precious pails of potable water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope