Growing up in Penang

 The nostril arousing cooking aromas wafted through the house.

It was a hands on encounter of delightfully trying to second guess the source of the ingredient utilised.  At times, it was irresistible to just go downstairs to see what Mummy was dishing up over the stove. 


The equatorial afternoons can be oppressive outside. So on a public holiday or weekend, we would most likely be preserved behind closed doors with the air conditioning fully switched on. I would go through  a spectrum of reading material, which would reveal the wonder and complexity of the world outside.  

Cocooned as I was, I could hear the cries of passing vendors, visitors to the house at the gate and at times, the rumblings of a budding thunderstorm.   Best of all was listening to the radio, with voice inflections, pronounciations and enchanting beats of music. 


Friends from school would drop by on their bikes.  We would chat outdoors during the coolish evenings and rattle about several things, building up our individual art of conversation and developing a rapport not afforded elsewhere.  Time would seem endless, the mood so relaxed and then hunger for street food may arise. 


The casualness and accessibility for dining out were taken for granted.  As a child, it was a treat to go out in the car with Papa late at night, to not go far in a user friendly city, to find groups of people huddled over low tables enjoying their supper, even if it was a school

night.   The diversity of food offerings was taken for granted by me, the charcoal fire pots were feeding into a culinary delight and we bumped into other families known to us.  There was no need to change our clothes, as we took such trips already suited in our pyjamas - all ready to scramble into bed on reaching home in the late of an exciting evening.  Steam warm baos were a late evening treat.


Politics, race and disappointment were not on the menu.  Through optimistic childhood eyes, I recall only encouragement, inspiration and laughter.   Uncles and aunts dropped by, engaged in chatter which only widened my mindset and appreciation of the outside world. My Mum's sis Keow Ee was always there to make sure I was recovering well when I had a childhood ailment.  I particularly looked forward to sitting down in the lounge during visits by Papa's youngest brother Hong Beng.  Their youngest sister Kuchai cooked the best dishes - and still does in Island Glades, south of George Town. Brother Kin On took much of his effort and time to run things around the house, organise logistics for me and  do so much more. Aunt Suan always had a big beaming smile for me.


Inevitably there was cognisance of an evolving and challenging society as another veneer in life to grapple with.   My eldest brother was going to university for the first time, albeit in another city, when his inter-state train arrived smack in the middle of the nation's largest and most serious riots after a general election.  An uncle would be involved in a road accident as the over bright sunlight  temporarily blinded his sight - but he would survive.    The national airline had an aircraft that crashed in a remote swamp on the short haul between the capital city and Singapore. 


My thoughts were already articulated in the English language, although I learnt various dimensions of other languages - in varying degrees. I still recall Cikgu Othman at Francis Light Primary School who sufficiently encouraged me to master the official National Language for me to win an award.

If we see the best of a multi-racial society to make the most of it, we reap the benefits of diversity and harmony.   I rode a manual bike to Penang Free School with Ishak, the son of a navy father.  My Mum infused in me the love of Sri Lankan curries, the recipes of which were taught from a neighbour.   Uncle Cornelius gave me the best Christmases as I was growing up.

Dr. Yeoh and Uncle Harry organised beach outings, dinners at hilltop eatouts overseeing the beach and facilitated sleep overs with their children at their house.  Robert Donald Julian was the first American school boy I met and know of.   


From the base in Malaysia, my first tropical island visit overseas was Phuket.   Suchart and his family took care of me like a brother.   I gradually learnt to be grateful for and appreciative of special individuals who navigated me on my journey and let me see what is truly important, cutting off distractions, managing disruptions and optimising dilemnas. 


My childhood in Penang was enchanting, practical and with a strong foundation for various aspects of life.  


Malaysia marks its 65th year of independence from Britain on 31 August, 2022. 


#yongkevthoughts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope