Only Yesterday

Soon, it shall be the completion of a decade for the new millennium.

I ponder about what it was like on the cusp of new century, and more.  Who are the mates who continue to nourish me from that time,way back when?

Was it only yesterday when things, that mattered then,  do not anymore? I relish in the new ideas that have emerged since and in persons who still matter. I look around my house, cherish in things that still persist, things that I continue to appreciate using and people who still nourish my soul and mind in my journey of life. I recall the difficulty of letting go when others did not likewise experience my emotions, whether of friend ship, organisations or habits. The advantage of hindsight can make me think these things could have been so funny, but when then caught up in those significant moments, I remembered that such things were not easy to adjust to. Having survived, and allowing the healing power of time gone by, I am glad that things happened as they did.  Somehow I always believe things happen for the better.

Like the throw away pattern of a high turnover consumer goods society, what was new has become outdated and forgotten. What comes first to mind are first the successive models of  mobile phones,flat monitors and internet-enabled gadgets - but there is more. Maybe I am a sentimentalist at heart, and value items of life that last.  At other times, I appreciate the replacement of old turf with new, or the benefits of culling leaves and branches to promote and encourage for better things to come. I have kept most of my goldfish for just over seven years, and still have not felt the urge or itch to change them.  When I look at my family and relatives network, we still keep very much in touch.  When I look at mates, several have moved on with the working place, others continue to network and yet I am on to my fifth motor vehicle in my memory of use. Kumquat plants remain rooted in my garden beds, but the window of entertainment has changed in the living room.

Names like Michael Kalos, Iain Lockie, Andrew Holland, Alistair Walker, Simon Bruzzone and Glen Smallwood linger on my mind. Ten years ago, I felt the spirit of volunteerism, civility and celebration with the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. Are most of these still alive in today's Australian society? On the cusp of a new decade, I appreciate the joys and benefits of accessing both an urbane and out-of-capital city environment; being able to venture out to various parts of the world both physically and in cyberspace; and realise my plans despite the expected roadblocks from some quarters.

I look back at long drives between Wollongong and the varied corners of the greater Sydney region.
I reflect on changing requirements for travel, including what not to pack, carry or to be aware of. I still hold on to souvenirs and personal things from various chapters of life.  I can feel the relaxing social meals taken with friends, relatives and colleagues.  I am conscious of the long hours at work on weekdays and at times during weekends.  I relive the concerts, from Human Nature to Joey Yung; miss helping out at charity food fairs; and have a special place in my heart with memories soaking in places like Hangzhou and the Tamar Valley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope