A Stroll with Jay Jay

I cannot get over the fact that Jay Jay has gentle eyes, but when I look into them, his eyes also reveal a depth of understanding, emotion and communication. 

We were strolling on a street in Baulkham Hills near his abode, and Jay Jay was particularly sensitive and polite to me.  He did not plunge off in a sudden way from his leash, except for one occasion, despite the bark of an occasional neighbourhood canine, or some other diversion - and I quietly appreciated that he took the effort to not cause a disruption to my intent of having a leisurely time with him on a cool winter's day in greater Sydney's north-west. The only exception was when he took an interest in approaching some older teenage girls, who instinctively smiled as they passed by him.

Jay Jay loves the elements and outdoors.  He would enthusiastically sniff off herbs, plants, grass and shrubs along the route we took, as if he was Charles Darwin himself discovering new species in New Holland. Then he would perform what we may think as unsavoury - the urinating - but it was his organic, natural way of placing markers for future reference, instead of building metal towers, drainage holes or radar screens, as modern mankind does. Was Jay Jay also planning a secret garden inventory of Nature's medicine should he need them on a day when he may be feeling under the weather? Maybe it was just a geographical and topographical marker for him.

Jay Jay seemed to be pre-occupied on this walk, but I realised half way that he was also walking truly with me, taking in quietly how I felt, listening to my occasional chat with him, but more importantly soaking in my non-verbal vibes - and then making me feel that it is okay, whatever my thoughts and feelings were then. I was reminded that no matter what, it was just lovely to acknowledge the sunshine, the blue sky, the twitter of the birds and the fifteen degrees in temperature. Jay Jay perhaps just tried to show me to let things be, whether he passed by shouting kids, others doing their sport or the rush of a gentle breeze on a late Sunday afternoon. It was a focused effort addressed to me that particular day, for otherwise he can be active and engaged on previous such walks.

The two of us went up a ridge and then turned around down slope to his home.  Happily he approached the front door and he instinctively knew his job - and mine - was done.  In an unassuming manner, we both basked in the after glow of each other's company.  He did not give me a wink, but his consistent eyes of assurance, when he looked into my eyes, spoke of reliability, on-going friendship and no-fuss approach to what life has to offer.  Think of how many of your human companions can do that to each of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope