One Night in Singapore

Immigration officials at Changi Airport do smile.

Once out at Terminal Two arrival hall, I felt the spaciousness of clean, tiled floors protected in air-conditioned comfort by glass doors that led to what I imagined would contain a blast of humid warm air once I got out there. However, it was a balmy cool night once Karen caught up with me and walked me to the Audi A4, in which Chet was waiting. There is a certain feel about Singapore, night or day, in which the canopy of carefully planned road side trees moderate the equatorial air, lower the intensity of deep urban planning and blend in carefully with the orange-coloured sodium street lights. The double decked SBS buses proclaim adverts shouting out "Uniquely Singapore" which led the three of us to a lively discussion as to the more appropriate theme going forward to attract tourists - I nominate "Snug Singapore".

Snug because the island nation provides an orderly haven for visitors dropping by between other places. Snug as well due to the compact size of the place. Despite its size, I felt safe, calmed and structured by the reliability of language used, relative friendliness and lawful modernity. Snug because I love the variety of its shops and products. Snug due to the fact that I can cover the whole main island in one day, albeit a bit rushed and not lingering too long at any one place. Snug because I can party the whole night and yet find food and dessert late. Karen took us to a rather unusual dessert place, eating an icy cold concoction of mango and pomelo with one's choice of ice cream or jelly, sitting on a five-foot way along Liang Seah Street near Bugis Junction at 11pm. Snug because Chet could then drive to the airport in twenty minutes and I could still leisurely board my flight on time.

Chet and Karen also chose a most snug place for dinner. A former cluster of the British Army barracks, Dempsey Hill has been transformed into a lifestyle village, primarily concentrating in offering a diverse choice of dining. We settled for the Jumbo, which in my opinion, has the most delectable chili crab and gravy, the national dish, and also a rather surprising kick of southern Indian mee goreng. The live water prawns offered an inherent subtle sweetness and flavour. I compared the crispy fish that stood up tall in contrast with the deep fried flounder found in Sydney's Asian suburbs, and the latter is the winner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope