Customer Service Encounters

I bought a train ticket in Sydney’s Central Station and got turned down by the sales person when I requested for a receipt for claims reimbursement purposes. I had tried to avoid asking for a receipt by offering to pay by credit card, but this was already turned down. It was simpler getting that receipt another day at an urban rail station in Thirroul, south of Sydney. The Central Station information counter lady that Wednesday March 5 however was very fair, suggesting that I could perhaps get a receipt if I asked the station manager. The manager flatly squashed the idea, asking me to go through the exit side gate at my destination station, to maintain my travel ticket to serve as a receipt (instead of getting it swallowed by the toll gate). I asked, what if the side gate was locked and it was unmanned, as it tends to be at smaller rail stations in the Sydney area? I was carrying two pieces of luggage, one rather heavy and even without them, I do not want to jump any gate at any public commuter facility. I received no satisfactory reply.

Checking into a serviced apartment near Sydney’s Darling Harbour, I asked for a late check out on the morning of my check out. I received no response whatsoever, even if the counter service person was right in front of me. I asked for some milk to be delivered to the apartment, promises were made on the phone but they never came. The check-in person could see me waiting with luggage for around 15 minutes, and yet asked the person who came later than me as to whom to serve first. I had resided before in another serviced apartment of the same brand chain, but this other outlet was totally a disappointment by the standards of the former experience. The carpets and sofa were dirty, there was no LCD or plasma television monitor and the available kitchen utensils were minimal. The apartment was not cleaned one day even with the request card displayed outside the door to tidy up the apartment – it was only done when it was raised by the guest. The cleaning staff rushed to get in the lifts even before guests could get out. Being the face of the facility, at most times they behaved amazingly unfriendly. The gym was locked when it should have been accessible to kosher guests. I was lucky to then meet Matt on duty at the front reception on the last two days of my stay. With a responsive smile and quick manner, Matt actually had things done in an impeccable style, listened intently to feedback and offered relevant explanations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope