Sweetness The Patisserie - Epping NSW







I was back in the very second suburb I settled into when first arriving in Australia.  The rail station has been modernised, the retail strips have expanded and the vehicular traffic has increased.  

The post office where I had a post box is delightfully still there, but changed in products and delivery in a more digital age and where on line sales dominate.  There is a predominance of Asian business, including grocery shops, cafes and ethnic cooking, but the beloved Coles still has its car park and the Epping Club has become more refined.   Some consolation that old Australia remains with the Epping Hotel.






However, I was determined to drop by a place that had so far eluded me, either because it closes on Sundays, or I have been distracted to other suburbs in this north western corner of greater Sydney.  Yes, it is a fairy tale place that I have been told, where elegance, prettiness and magic happens.  I could not wait.

In my rising excitement , haha I did unintentionally walk past its door.   There was no seating, but only a retail space, small, family like and reminding me of what you find often as hidden gems in quiet villages far way from cities.   I finally made it to the Sweetness.

The two window displays were what already lived up to my romanticised expectations about the Sweetness.  I have seen its creations  - usually pastel looking, demure sized and beautiful to the eye - at home parties, family picnic baskets and kept lovingly in ladies clutch bags. A few women in protective head gear were busily working in the transparent open bakery area.   What they prepared and created were arranged with care on the myriad shelves around the front.  I felt more like in a gingerbread cottage than anything else at that moment.

I already spotted my weakness - salted caramels, hmmn how did they know? And then the fruity coconut ice...  There was more than I could want.    I decided to be strict with myself, having only a few things that are unusual, to further open my taste buds and impressions, liberate my prejudiced limitations and yet mindful of not having to much a dose of sugar.
I chose the Rocky Road Bon Bons- something I normally otherwise avoid, but the Sweetness version is exquisite on the mouth and so well presented.The Pate de Fruit cubes look like a perfect accompaniment while travelling or when the palate needs a refresher after some exotic food in some new fangled cuisine place.And not to forget, the cute Baby Feet creations for a new Mum and baby.









The friendly lady at the counter was patient with me, allowing me to explore the baked delights and me making up my mind. I must have looked like the proverbial kid in the lolly or candy shop, stopping at every corner of the display looking intently, truly amazed at the artisan creations, knowing I want more and desperately trying to come with reason.

The lightly sweet marshmallows are the signature face of the Sweetness.  In 36 flavours, they range from delicates like Lychee Rose, French Earl Grey, Lavender and Rosewater, to boldness in Passionfruit and Raspberry Swirls, Jaffa, Blueberry and Blood Orange and Brown Sugar with Cinnamon.   There are also standards like Mango, Lemon, Vanilla, Banana, Blackberry, Peppermint and Pear.  These marshmallows have no preservatives and are also Halal, dairy free, have no gluten and with no nut tainting.Marshmallows are also offered in mixed pre-packed bags in small sizes.

Nougats are available in both macadamia and apricot combinations, plus in the tradition of 
Montelimar, with dried fruits, honey and roasted nuts.  Macarons, tarts, gummies, bars, fudge, shortbreads, toffee....we have more to reckon than we are prepared, in a delightful way.  Packages are on the smaller side, underlining the need for moderation in every thing and especially in sweet things.

A quick note.  The Salted Caramel Bon Bons won a Royal Award in the Sydney Regional Fine Food Awards last year.They are also part of the menu choices for Qantas First Class passengers.

Alas, there is no barista coffee.....but seriously, this is such a  gem of a place.


My impressions of Sweetness the Patisserie:
Ambiance: 4 out of 5
Customer Engagement: 3.75 out of 5
Culinary Delight: 4 out of 5
X Factor:  3.5 out of 5
Overall:  4 out of 5


Recommended menu choices:

Salted Caramel Bon Bons.
Spiced pecans.
Marzipan Dates.
Hazelnut Crunch with nuts sourced from Mudgee NSW.
Orange and Cardamom Mini Biscuits.
Caramel Popcorn.
Marshmallows.




Sweetness the Patisserie is located at 38 Oxford Street, Epping NSW.
Opening hours are from 830am to 530pm from Mondays to Fridays and from 9am to 3pm on Saturdays.  Closed on Sundays and public holidays.
Contact + 61 2 9869 3800








SWEETNESS The Patisserie Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


Comments

chocolatesuze said…
Love Sweetness, their marshmallows are awesome! Will be sad to see them go

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope