A Path Less Travelled

This time it was the persimmons, bright-orangy, firm and standing out like dazzling leaflets on a stand over the pavement. Bankstown in Sydney never fails to astonish me. The day had been warmer than expected, with the winds of the past week huddled away, and yet there seemed to be fewer shoppers. Maybe it was the late afternoon, or perhaps the recession had taken a stronger bite. I scanned through various delicacies of cakes and stuff displayed at most of the shop fronts along the Mall. There were miniature dumplings laden with bits of pork, shrimp and chives - hey don't they look like yum cha stuff, but then there was this chili spicy sauce to take them with. I returned to the modest food shop that made a sensational tasty bowl of mung bean noodles swirled with seafood and garnished with aromatic, appetising ingredients. I looked at herbs that had not reached the shelves of Woolworths and Coles as yet.

The early night saw me around a home dinner table in Carlingford with coconut milk flavoured rice steamed and placed over banana leaves. To accompany this traditional Malaysian breakfast item, there were smoked crunchy anchovies, hard boiled egg halves in South-east Asian sambal, Lebanese cucumber slices, marinated prawns and chicken curry laden with potatoes and gravy. I always thought it can be too rich to eat this first thing in the morning, and now I find its rightful place as dinner on a Sunday night. No lamb roast. The Indo-Chinese jelly I obtained from a Bankstown shop complemented the grapes, nashis and rockmelon cuts on the fruit platter often served by cousin Susan and her hubby Boo Ann. This time Susan also made the tasty banana fritters. It was Eurovision finals night in Moscow on the telly.

I took a path less travelled through the expanse of greater Sydney and was restored with the fascination of discovering a new dimension. From Heathcote, I cut through Menai, avoided going back to Sutherland and kept going north till I found Bankstown. From Bankstown I checked out Strathfield through Belmore and then it was on to familiar territory through Concord, Top Ryde and Epping to Carlingford. Curry leaves and kumquats from Balgownie were packed in the car with me - I had looked at them and realised that these were not common in Australia not many years ago, but now has added to the fabric of diverse foods in both Bankstown and Carlingford.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope