A Magical Moment

The round full moon focused its mellow intensity on to my living room. The garden solar-powered lights complemented the unavoidable spotlight from the springtime star-dotted night sky. The lawn was lit in a light hearted sheen that seemed to nurture the green grass rather than apparently burn down on them.

This was a magical moment, something we all know requires the perfect alignment - and maybe coincidence - of the stars, wind and time. On Sunday, after coming out from Joel Aden's birthday party, my Forrester indicated it was thirty-three degrees Celsius outside on a shiny torrid afternoon in Sydney's north-west. The mileage showed a chalk-up of 33,333 kilometres - an incredible hallmark moment when I happened to glance at this synchronisation of numbers. You may say that we don't plan such things, we set in motion a chain and sequence of events, usage and preparation to then by chance arrive at a remarkable observation.

I had been trying for a week to pay some minor transaction. The requirement and reliance on credit card mechanisms, website log-in, system verification and internet support ensured that my few attempts on-line led me literally nowhere. Even after registering a requested log-in and getting to completing payment details, the web-based procedure then gave a sudden stop with an offered message that the system processing my transaction had just changed and I was unable to proceed further - at least on the internet. Whether out of desperation or exasperation, I then decided to call a telephone number to try completing the payment - very well knowing the waiting time hanging on to the telephone.

I did get through to a live person, surprisingly only after three minutes. The magic occurred when Nathan came on the line with a lilting, personable voice full of character and liveliness. What a magical moment, I thought, when he listened intently to my problem, spoke at the right cues and in an unassuming manner achieved for me what I have been attempting for the past week on the internet.

I had wanted to streamline the papers in my office room for a long time. I theorised that the trick on my part was to stop more hard copies coming in and culling what I have already accumulated. I thought there are some things that I could not turn off completely, like documents that essentially supported the work, daily newspapers and weekly professional magazines. I corralled piles of work papers that seemed relevant and related to keep when they were generated, but now looked likely that they are past their shelf life. At the same time, I knew instinctively I had to take a radically different approach if things were to really change. At times I felt like just chipping at hard bricks, so I felt truly amazed when now I have reached the stage of minimalist existence in terms of hard copies just necessary to get the work completed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope