Return to New Zealand

I expected frosty nights and moist gardens. I got them. I looked forward to the sparkling moon crescent hanging over low lying long white clouds. I saw and immersed myself in their display. I relished in the long sloping roads of Auckland that led from craters to bays. I got to travel along them. I recalled the glowworms hanging from cave ceilings in South Island, and this time, I was reminded of them by the luminous glow provided by gnat larvae in Waitomo in North Island. My inner soul from a previous trip remembered hot chocolate, intense ice cream and tender lamb cuts, and I got to relish them again. The sulphur and steam at Rotorua are exactly as a London friend, Sue Dickinson, described them.









































At the same time, I am amazed this time by the variety of cosmopolitan food offerings in downtown and suburban Auckland. I stopped counting after having two modern Kiwi eatouts, three Hong Kong meals, one Korean lunch, two Vietnamese food gatherings and two Malaysian cafe eating sessions. There are Japanese supermarts along Queen Street and delightful sorbet/gelato offerings at Valentino's near the Auckland ferry pier waterfront. I dug in gustily into the pickled side dishes made at the KangNam Rail Station Restaurant at the upper end of Queen Street. The unagi (eel) I had at Kang Nam more than matched the one offered at the Japanese outlet at the food court in Newmarket's Westfield. Adrian and Lily Gomez had a multi-racial feast going for five of us at Seri Puteri's along Queen's Road in suburban Panmure, and I loved the yee mee noodles and roti canai pancakes. The dynamic business at Canton's was vibrantly reflected in its quick and efficient service, tasty dishes and endless line of customers. I particularly have a fondness for the tofu dishes in Auckland, whether at KK's or the Enjoy Inn along Great South Road. The hapuka fish, whether at Grand Harbour Restaurant in Auckland's Viaduct district or at Canton's, was both crispy and savoury. Tropical Vietnamese food was easy and light at both Hansan in Panmure and The Two Monkeys in the suburb of Mount Eden.





















I was lucky to have both family and friends this time around in my autumn sojourn this year to New Zealand. Cousin Mu Lan, and Aunt Keow cooked up various foods of my childhood from another place, another time. The warm broth of fei tang chok (Cantonese styled broth)was an antidote for the cold Auckland dawn, while Malaysian rose chicken curry spiced up nippy evenings. Another cousin, Irene, took a few of us to the Pei Tou, or North Island, Fokuangshan Temple built in Tang Dynasty style in Manukau City. My eldest niece Tze Yin took me on bus rides and walks that offered interesting journeys themselves, apart from the destinations. I found myself in a Taiwanese milkbar, Momos, but with good company, late at night and on a sunny day, strolling on the mouth of Mount Eden crater. I spent a leisurely Saturday afternoon with Shaun and Tze Yin enjoying the delicious chicken Burnout burger at Burgerfuel in Parnell, followed by a hot jaffa at the Chocolate Boutique, before being sent to the Airport for the trans-Tasman flight back. Aunty Chia kindly made home-made steamed pork buns and soft tender jerky that you normally see in Asia, instead of New Zealand. Richard Ong and his Mum brought delicious juicy feijoa fruits from their garden.

>



















The drive from the Rotorua region back to night time Auckland was longer than I thought, but brought back comparable memories of the countryside from a South Island tour long ago. I stood in the rain one dawn at 6.20am waiting for a bus in the suburb of Green Lane and loved the confronting outdoor elements of New Zealand. It was exhilarating to catch up with an ex-colleague and friend, Phaik Hoon, whom I have not seen for so many years. Blue eyed cod steamed in light and amazingly simple soy sauce at dinnertime was an antidote to the constant rain for two full days. It was hilarious that my umbrella turned inside out at the One Tree Hill Monument - I should have expected that, running out in the open at Cromwell Park. I was impressed with the Auckland Harbour Bridge when we were driven in a Mercedes Benz Compressor to the city's north shore, without having to pay any toll. A bored Maori security guard tapped out a catchy number on wood during the closing hour at Victoria Markets. I was impressed with Auckland's Link Bus - for a dollar sixty cents New Zealand, one could go round the city area admiring sights from near and afar, stopping anywhere one wishes, and while still riding, enjoy the latest news, GPS maps and weather forecasts on TV screens.





















(Queen Street Auckland and University of Auckland Business School images from the collection of Yong Tze Yin, May 2008)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunty Gaik Lian's - Straits Chinese, Georgetown, Penang

85 Degrees Bakery Cafe Hurstville NSW

Return to Eythrope